Re: the jokes for pg concurrency write performance

On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:57 PM, wyx6fox@xxxxxxxx wrote:

i found a joke ,maybe this joke concurrency strategy is the designer's pround idea, but i think it is a joke , next let me describe the problems:

I would suggest that the behavior that you dislike so much is really not idea of the postgresql developers as much as it is of Prof. Codd and the ANSI-SQL committee. I wonder if a creditable relational DBMS exists that doesn't behave in exactly the way you've described?

UPDATE webpages SET hits = hits + 1 WHERE url ='some url ';

 i say ,u should no kill concurrency performance

One alternative design would be to log the timestamp of your web page hits rather than update a hits count field.

Once you have this design, if the table becomes volumous with historical logs you have the choice the use horizontal table partitioning or you can roll up all of the historical logs into an aggregating materialized view(table).

Regarding all of the jokes you mentioned, I found them all to be very funny indeed. :)

Regards,
Richard