Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice?

Carlo Stonebanks wrote:

<<effective_cache_size should be set to how much memory is leftover for disk caching after taking into account what's used by the operating system, dedicated PostgreSQL memory, and other applications. If it's set too low, indexes may not be used for executing queries the way you'd expect. Setting effective_cache_size to 1/2 of total memory would be a normal conservative setting. You might find a better estimate by looking at your operating system's statistics. On UNIX-like systems, add the free+cached numbers from free or top. On Windows see the "System Cache" in the Windows Task Manager's Performance tab.

Are these values to look at BEFORE starting PG? If so, how do I relate the values returned to setting the effective_cache_size values?

After starting the database. You can set effective_cache_size to a size in megabytes, so basically you'd look at the amount of free cache, maybe round down a bit, and set effective_cache_size to exactly that. It's not super important to get the number right. The point is that the default is going to be a tiny number way smaller than the RAM in your system, and even getting it within a factor of 2 or 3 of reality will radically change some types of query plans.

PS Loved your 1995 era pages. Being a musician, it was great to read your recommendations on how to buy these things called "CD's". I Googled the term, and they appear to be some ancient precursor to MP3s which people actually PAID for. What kind of stone were they engraved on? ;-D

They're plastic, just like the iPod, iPhone, iToilet, or whatever other white plastic Apple products people listen to music during this new era. Since both my CD collection and the stereo I listen to them on are each individually worth more than my car, it's really tough to sell me on all the terrible sounding MP3s I hear nowadays. I'm the guy who can tell you how the LP, regular CD, gold CD, and SACD/DVD-A for albums I like all compare, so dropping below CD quality is right out. If you ever find yourself going "hey, I wish I had six different versions of 'Dark Side of the Moon' around so I could compare the subtle differences in the mastering and mix on each of them", I'm your guy.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com