Re: ext4 finally doing the right thing

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
Sure, if your WAL is on the same FS as your data, you're going to get
hit, and *especially* on ext3...

But, I think that's one of the reasons people usually recommend putting
WAL separate.

Separate disks can actually concentrate the problem. The writes to the data disk by checkpoints will also have fsync behind them eventually, so splitting out the WAL means you just push the big write backlog to a later point. So less frequently performance dives, but sometimes bigger. All of the systems I was mentioning seeing >10 second pauses on had a RAID-1 pair of WAL disks split from the main array.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com