Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Greg Smith <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Madison Kelly wrote:
I think for now, I will stick with 8.1, but I will certainly try out your
repo edit above on a test machine and see how that works out. I am always
reticent to change something as fundamental as postgres without "good
reason". I guess I am a fan of "if it ain't broke...". :)
PostgreSQL has many fundamental limitations that cannot be resolved no
matter what you do in 8.1 that are fixed in later versions.  The default
behavior for the problem you're having has been massively improved by
updates made in 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4.  8.1 can certainly be considered broken
in regards to its lack of good and automatic VACUUM and ANALYZE behavior,
and you're just seeing the first round of issues in that area.  Every minute
you spend applying temporary fixes to the fundamental issues is time you
could be better spending toward upgrading instead.

Also, the HOT updates in 8.3 made a compelling case for us to update,
and if the OP is suffering from table bloat, HOT might help a lot.

These are certainly compelling reasons for me to try upgrading... I will try a test upgrade on a devel server tomorrow using Steve's repo edits.

Madi