Re: SATA drives performance

Richard Neill wrote:
3. RAID 0 is twice as unreliable as no raid. I'd recommend using RAID 1
intead. If you use the Linux software mdraid, remote admin is easy.

The main thing to be wary of with Linux software RAID-1 is that you configure things so that both drives are capable of booting the system. It's easy to mirror the data, but not the boot loader and the like.

7. If you have 3 equal disks, try doing some experiments. My inclination
would be to set them all up with ext4...

I have yet to yet a single positive thing about using ext4 for PostgreSQL. Stick with ext3, where the problems you might run into are at least well understood and performance is predictable.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com