Re: Server Freezing

Waldomiro wrote:
Is It possible the checkpoint is doing that? Or the archiving? How can I see?
If you're using PostgreSQL 8.3 or later, you can turn on log_checkpoints and you'll get a note when each checkpoint finishes. The parts that are more likely to slow the server down are right at the end, so if you see a bunch of slow queries around the same time as the checkpoint message appears in the logs, that's the likely cause. Bad checkpoint behavior can certainly cause several seconds of freezing on a system with 32GB of RAM, because with that much data you can have quite a bit in the OS write cache that all gets forced out at the end of the checkpoint.

Finding when the checkpoints happen on 8.2 or earlier is much harder; I can tell you what to look for on Linux for example, but it's kind of painful to track them down.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com