Re: Any have tested ZFS like PostgreSQL installation filesystem?

Ing . Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda wrote:
Ivan Voras escribió:
Ing . Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda wrote:
Regards to all the list.
ZFS, the new filesystem developed by the Solaris Development team and ported to FreeBSD too, have many advantages that can do that all sysadmins are questioned
about if it is a good filesystem to the PostgreSQL installation.
Any of you haved tested this filesystem like PostgreSQL installation fs?

It will work but as to if it is a good file system for databases, the debate still goes on.

Here are some links about ZFS and databases:

http://blogs.sun.com/paulvandenbogaard/entry/postgresql_on_ufs_versus_zfs
http://blogs.sun.com/paulvandenbogaard/entry/running_postgresql_on_zfs_file
http://blogs.sun.com/realneel/entry/mysql_innodb_zfs_best_practices
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-zfs.html
http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2008/10/13/zfs-mysqlinnodb-compression-update/

A separate issue (I think it is not explored enough in the above links) is that ZFS writes data in a semi-continuous log, meaning there are no in-place modifications of files (every such write is made on a different place), which leads to heavy fragmentation. I don't think I have seen a study of this particular effect. OTOH, it will only matter if the DB usage pattern is sequential reads and lots of updates - and even here it might be hidden by internal DB data fragmentation.

OK, thanks for the answers, I ´ll study the efects now. This tests was with the FreeBSD-8.0 version?

No, AFAIK all of them were on some (and different) versions of (Open)Solaris.