Re: RAID card recommendation

Matthew Wakeling wrote:
People have mentioned Areca as making good RAID controllers. We're looking at the "Areca ARC-1220 PCI-Express x8 SATA II" as a possibility. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is a turkey or a star?
Performance should be OK but not great compared with some of the newer alternatives (this design is a few years old now). The main issue I've had with this series of cards is that the command-line tools are very hit or miss. See http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2008/08/linux-disk-failures-areca-is-not-so.html for a long commentary about the things I was disappointed by on the similar ARC-1210 once I actually ran into a drive failure on one. As Scott points out there, they have other cards with a built-in management NIC that allows an alternate management path, and I believe those have better performance too.

Another possibility is a 3-ware card of some description.
I've put a fair number of 9690SA cards in systems with little to complain about. Performance was reasonable as long as you make sure to tweak the read-ahead: http://www.3ware.com/kb/article.aspx?id=11050 Ignore most of the rest of their advice on that page though--for example, increasing vm.dirty_background_ratio and vm.dirty_ratio is an awful idea for PostgreSQL use, where if anything you want to decrease the defaults.

Also, while they claim you can connect SAS drives to these cards, they don't support sending SMART commands to them and support seemed pretty limited overall for them. Stick with plain on SATA ones.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com