Re: SSD + RAID

On 11/17/2009 01:51 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
I am right now talking to someone on postgresql irc who is measuring
15k iops from x25-e and no data loss following power plug test.
The funny thing about Murphy is that he doesn't visit when things are quiet. It's quite possible the window for data loss on the drive is very small. Maybe you only see it one out of 10 pulls with a very aggressive database-oriented write test. Whatever the odd conditions are, you can be sure you'll see them when there's a bad outage in actual production though.

A good test program that is a bit better at introducing and detecting the write cache issue is described at http://brad.livejournal.com/2116715.html

I've been following this thread with great interest in your results... Please continue to share...

For write cache issues - is it possible that the reduced power utilization of SSD allows for a capacitor to complete all scheduled writes, even with a large cache? Is it this particular drive you are suggesting that is known to be insufficient or is it really the technology or maturity of the technology?

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<mark@xxxxxxxxx>