Re: SSD + RAID

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Laszlo Nagy wrote:
   * I need at least 32GB disk space. So DRAM based SSD is not a real
     option. I would have to buy 8x4GB memory, costs a fortune. And
     then it would still not have redundancy.

At 32GB database size, I'd seriously consider just buying a server with
a regular hard drive or a small RAID array for redundancy, and stuffing
16 or 32 GB of RAM into it to ensure everything is cached. That's tried
and tested technology.
32GB is for one table only. This server runs other applications, and you need to leave space for sort memory, shared buffers etc. Buying 128GB memory would solve the problem, maybe... but it is too expensive. And it is not safe. Power out -> data loss.
I don't know how you came to the 32 GB figure, but keep in mind that
administration is a lot easier if you have plenty of extra disk space
for things like backups, dumps+restore, temporary files, upgrades etc.
This disk space would be dedicated for a smaller tablespace, holding one or two bigger tables with index scans. Of course I would never use an SSD disk for storing database backups. It would be waste of money.