Re: Speed / Server

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The nasty part of this problem is that the data needs to be "readily"
available for reports, and we cannot consolidate the data for reporting
purposes.

Just because you have to store the detailed data doesn't mean you can't store a conslidated view on it too. Have you considered driving the primary reporting off of materialized views, so you only compute those once?

I know we need a LOT of RAM (as much as we can afford), and we're looking
at a couple of Nehalem systems w/ a large, and fast, RAID-10 disk set up.

There is a lot of variation in RAID-10 setups that depends on the controller used. Make sure you're careful to consider the controller card and performance of its battery-backed cache a critical component here; performance does not scale well with additional drives if your controller isn't good.

What card are you using now for your RAID-1 implementation?

1.  Other than partitioning (by system, and/or date), and splitting up the
data into multiple tables (by data type), what could be done within
Postgresql to help with this type of set up (1 large table)?

This seems like a perfect fit for partitioning by date.

2.  Before going out and buying a beast of a system, we'd like to get some
idea of performance on a "high-end" system.  We may need to split this up,
or move into some other type of architecture.  Do you know of anyone who
would let us "play" with a couple of systems to see what would be an
applicable purchase?

Find vendors who sell things you like and ask if they have an eval system available. As prices move up, those become more common.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD