Re: Possible causes of sometimes slow single-row UPDATE with trivial indexed condition?

Vlad Romascanu wrote:
Problem occurs when running (in production) Postgres 8.3.7 64-bit (from RPM) on Ubuntu 8.04.2, on an Amazon EC2 (xen) "Large" instance (8GB RAM), with the DB on a 50GB EC2 block device. Problem does not occur when running (in staging/pre-production) Postgres 8.3.5 32-bit (from RPM) on Ubuntu 8.04.1, on a less beefy Amazon EC2 (xen) "Small" instance, with the DB on a 5GB EC2 block device.

I am running with slow query logging on, and somewhat inexplicably I've been getting the following slow UPDATE query several times in the past weeks (I'm also including some context lines above and below):

I'm not sure how Amazon vm's work, but are there multiple vm's on one box? Just because your vm has zero cpu/disk does not mean the host isn't pegged out of its mind.

Does Amazon give any sort of host stats?

-Andy