Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

Well the real problem is that pgbench itself does not scale too well to lots of concurrent connections and/or to high transaction rates so it seriously skews the result.

Sure, but that's what the multi-threaded pgbench code aims to fix, which didn't show up until after you ran your tests. I got the 90K select TPS with a completely unoptimized postgresql.conf, so that's by no means the best it's possible to get out of the new pgbench code on this hardware. I've seen as much as a 40% improvement over the standard pgbench code in my limited testing so far, and the patch author has seen a 450% one. You might be able to see at least the same results you got from sysbench out of it.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD