Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Dave Youatt wrote:
Greg, those are compelling numbers for the new Nehalem processors.
Great news for postgresql.  Do you think it's due to the new internal
interconnect...

Unlikely. Different threads on the same CPU core share their resources, so they don't need an explicit communication channel at all (I'm simplifying massively here). A real interconnect is only needed between CPUs and between different cores on a CPU, and of course to the outside world.

Scott's explanation of why SMT works better now is much more likely to be the real reason.

Matthew

--
Ozzy:   Life is full of disappointments.
Millie: No it isn't - I can always fit more in.