Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?

Scott Carey wrote:

But back on topic for HT -- HT doesn't like spin-locks much unless they
use the right low level instruction sequence rather than actually
spinning. With the right instruction, the spin will allow the other
thread to do work... With the wrong one, it will tie up the pipeline.  I
have no idea what Postgres' spin-locks and tool chain compile down to.

I have two hyperthreaded Xeon processors, so this machine thinks it has four processors. I have not seen the effect of spin locks with postgres. But I can tell that Firefox and Thunderbird use the wrong ones. When one of these is having trouble accessing a site, the processor in question goes up to 100% and the other part of the hyperthreaded processor does nothing even though I run four BOINC processes that would be glad to gobble up the cycles. Of course, since it is common to both Firefox and Thunderbird, perhaps it is a problem in the name server, bind. But wherever it is, it bugs me.

 ^^-^^ 13:55:01 up 6 days, 3:52, 3 users, load average: 4.03, 4.25, 4.45