Re: cluster index on a table

According to the books online http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177443.aspx :

"In a clustered index, the leaf nodes contain the data pages of the underlying table."

Which agrees with your assertion.

From a performance perspective, it DOES work very well. Which is why I keep hoping for it to show up in PostgreSQL.

On Jul 16, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Scott Carey wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think MSSQL only keeps the data specified in the
index in the index, and the remaining columns in the data.
That is, if there is a clustered index on a table on three columns out of five, those three columns in the index are stored in the index, while the other two are in a data portion. But it has been several years since I
worked with that DB.

They are certainly storing at least those columns in the index itself. And
that feature does work very well from a performance perspective.

IOT in Oracle is a huge win in some cases, but a bit more clunky for others
than Clustered Indexes in MSSQL.  Both are highly useful.