Re: [BUGS] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:02:09 +0200, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My bet is on the pg_auth flat file.  I doubt we have ever tested the
behavior of that code with 1 billion users ...
I've noticed this behaviour some time ago, on a cluster with 50k+ roles (not sure about the number now). Restoring the backup took a lot of time, especially when the users file grew significantly and each additional user caused PG to rewrite the whole file. I never bothered to report this, as it's not like the users are (re)created every day, it was just a one-time run (== some extra time for another coffee during restore ;-)). I was always wondering, though, why PostgreSQL uses this approach and not its catalogs.

Regards,
--
ru