Re: Bundling postgreSQL with my Java application

On 07/06/2009 03:17 AM, Saurabh Dave wrote:
>No offense intended - but have you looked at the documentation for postgresql.conf?

>If you are going to include PostgreSQL in your application, I'd highly recommend you >understand what you are including. :-)

I had a look into the documentation of postgres.conf, and tried a lot with changing paramters I thought would improve the performance, but in vain. Autovaccum is enabled by default in 8.3.7 , but i reduced the nap time so that it happens more frequently.

My personal opinion is that certain parameters in postgres.conf are simply too technical in nature for a application developer like me, it becomes more of a trial and error kind of frustrating process.

If there a utility that understands the system specification on which postgres is going to run and change the paramters accordingly, that would help.

If autovacuum is on - then I suspect your problem would not be addressed by tweaking postgresql.conf. You'll have to analyze the queries that are taking longer than you expect. Run them with "explain analyze" in front and post the results. Provide table structure information.

It's possible tweaking postgresql.conf would give you a performance boost - but it would probably be temporary. That is, getting 1 x 5% speedup here and 1 x 10% there will be useless if the actual query is becoming slower by 100% every few days.

The problem needs to be understood.

For what it's worth, we have some fairly busy systems that have used PostgreSQL 8.0 / 8.1 out of the box, the administrators forgot to run vacuum / analyze, and the system *still* performed well months later. PostgreSQL is pretty good even without non-optimal configuration and even without database maintenance. If autovacuum is really running for you - I would look as to whether you have the right indexes defined and/or whether you are actually using them?

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<mark@xxxxxxxxx>