Why is my stats collector so busy?

On a 8 processor system, my stats collector is always at 100% CPU. Meanwhile disk I/O is very low. We have many databases, they are accessed frequently. Sometimes there are big table updates, but in most of the time only simple queries are ran against the databases, returning a few records only. From the maximum possible 8.0 system load, the average load is always above 1.1 and from this, 1.0 is the stats collector and 0.1 is the remaining of the system. If I restart the postgresql server, then the stats collector uses 0% CPU for about 10 minutes, then goes up to 100% again. Is there a way to tell why it is working so much?

I asked this problem some months ago on a different mailing list. I was asked to provide tracebacks of the stats collector, but due to a bug in the FreeBSD ppid() function, I'm not able to trace the stats collector.

Thank you,

  Laszlo