Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Shaul Dar wrote:

If you want to test the H/W and configuration of your DBMS then you can use the pgbench tool (which uses a specific built-in DB+schema, following the TPC benchmark).

There are a lot of TPC benchmarks. pgbench simulates TPC-B (badly), which is a benchmark from 1990. It's not at all representative of the current TPC benchmarks.

If you want to load test your own specific DB then I am unaware of any such tools.

pgbench will run against any schema and queries, the built-in set are just the easiest to use. I just released a bunch of slides and a package I named pgbench-tools that show some of the possibilities here, links to everything are at: http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2009/05/bottom-up-postgresql-benchmarking-and.html

I'd mentioned working on that this before on this list but the code just got stable enough to release recently. Anybody who is running lots of pgbench tests at different database sizes and client loads might benefit from using my toolset to automate running the tests and reporting on the results.

The last few slides of my pgbench presentation show how you might write a custom test that measures how fast rows of various sizes can be inserted into your database at various client counts.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD