Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

CMD doesn't rent hardware you would have to provide that, Rack Space does.

Part of the idea was to avoid buying a stack of servers, if this were just a "where do I put the boxes at?" problem I'd have just asked you about it already. I forgot to check Rack Space earlier, looks like they have Dell servers with up to 8 drives and a RAID controller in them available. Let's just hope it's not one of the completely useless PERC models there; can anyone confirm Dell's PowerEdge R900 has one of the decent performing PERC6 controllers I've heard rumors of in it?

Craig, I share your concerns about outsourced hosting, but as the only custom application involved is one I build my own RPMs for I'm not really concerned about the system getting screwed up software-wise. The idea here is that I might rent an eval system to confirm performance is reasonable, and if it is then I'd be clear to get a bigger stack of them. Luckily there's a guy here who knows a bit about benchmarking for this sort of thing...

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD