Re: superlative missuse

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Angel Alvarez <clist@xxxxxx> wrote:

> we suffer a 'more optimal' superlative missuse
>
> there is  not so 'more optimal' thing but a simple 'better' thing.
>
> im not native english speaker but i think it still applies.
>
> Well this a superlative list so all of you deserve a better "optimal" use.

As a native english speaker:

You are technically correct. However, "more optimal" has a
well-understood meaning as "closer to optimal", and as such is
appropriate and generally acceptable despite being technically
incorrect.

This is a postgres mailing list, not an english grammar mailing list...

--
- David T. Wilson
david.t.wilson@xxxxxxxxx