Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

Joshua D. Drake ha scritto:
On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 18:06 +0200, Paolo Rizzi wrote:
Hi all,
recently I came across a question from a customer of mine, asking me if it would feasible to run PostgreSQL along with PostGIS on embedded hardware. They didn't give me complete information, but it should be some kind of industrial PC with a 600MHz CPU. Memory should be not huge nor small, maybe a couple of GBytes, hard disk should be some type of industrial Compact Flash of maybe 16 GBytes.

Well the CPU is slow the but rest isn't so bad.

They are thinking about using this setup on-board of public buses and trams, along with a GPS receiver, for self-localization. So that when the bus or tram enters defined zones or passes near defined points, events are triggered.
The database could probably be used completely read-only or almost that.

What performances do you think would be possible for PostgreSQL+PostGIS on such hardware???

If you aren't doing a lot of writing I don't see a huge barrier to this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drkae
Thank you!!!
Indeed I also think it could be done, but I searched the Web and found no previous experience of the like, so maybe it's just too weird putting a spatial-enabled RDBMS on-board buses...!?!

Anyway I found the TurnKey PostgreSQL appliance. It's a small Ubuntu-based live-cd with PostgreSQL and PostGIS preconfigured. I could suggest these people to try it out on hardware similar to what they intend to use, to have a feel of how it behaves.

Bye
Paolo