Re: [HACKERS] high shared buffer and swap

An octocore server with 32GB of ram, running postgresql 8.3.6
Running only postgresql, slony-I and pgbouncer.

Just for testing purpose, i tried a setting with 26GB of shared_buffer.

I quickly noticed that the performances wasn't very good and the
server started to swap slowly but surely.
 (but still up to 2000query/second as reported by pgfouine)

It used all the 2GB of swap.
I removed the server from production, added 10GB of swap and left it
for the weekend with only slony and postgresql up to keep it in sync
with the master database.

This morning i found that the whole 12GB of swap were used :

	Hm, do you really need swap with 32Gb of RAM ?

	One could argue "yes but swap is useful to avoid out of memory errors".
But if a loaded server starts to swap a lot, it is as good as dead anyway...