Re: performance for high-volume log insertion

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Stephen Frost wrote:

Greg,

* Greg Smith (gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
The win from switching from INSERT to COPY can be pretty big, further
optimizing to BINARY you'd really need to profile to justify.

Have you done any testing to compare COPY vs. INSERT using prepared
statements?  I'd be curious to know how those compare and against
multi-value INSERTS, prepared and unprepared.

and this is the rest of the question that I was trying (unsucessfully) to ask.

is this as simple as creating a database and doing an explain on each of these? or do I need to actually measure the time (at which point the specific hardware and tuning settings become an issue again)

David Lang