Re: GiST index performance

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
Hmm, and what is shared_buffers set to?  How big are the tables and
other indexes used in the query?  We still have to explain why the
inner nestloop got slower, and it's hard to see that unless something
stopped fitting in cache.

I just noticed that someone has started running a big java program (6GB RAM so far) on that machine. Maybe it was running during the bad run. I'll see if I can re-run those two queries later on when the machine is idle.

shared_buffers = 500MB

Location table: 336 MB
Gene table:     124 MB
Primer table:   103 MB

location__key_all index: 334 MB

Matthew

--
For those of you who are into writing programs that are as obscure and
complicated as possible, there are opportunities for... real fun here