Re: Question on pgbench output

Tom Lane wrote:
Simon Riggs <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 16:34 -0700, David Kerr wrote:
400 concurrent users doesn't mean that they're pulling 1.5 megs /
second every second.

There's a world of difference between 400 connected and 400 concurrent
users. You've been testing 400 concurrent users, yet without measuring
data transfer. The think time will bring the number of users right down
again, but you really need to include the much higher than normal data
transfer into your measurements and pgbench won't help there.

Actually pgbench can simulate think time perfectly well: use its \sleep
command in your script.  I think you can even set it up to randomize the
sleep time.

I agree that it seems David has been measuring a case far beyond what
his real problem is.

			regards, tom lane

Fortunately the network throughput issue is not mine to solve.

Would it be fair to say that with the pgbench output i've given so far
that if all my users clicked "go" at the same time (i.e., worst case scenario), i could expect (from the database) about 8 second response time?

Thanks

Dave Kerr