Re: Help Me Understand Why I'm Getting a Bad Query Plan

Bryan Murphy <bmurphy1976@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I tried that already, but I decided to try again in case I messed up
> something last time.  Here's what I ran.  As you can see, it still
> chooses to do a sequential scan.  Am I changing the stats for those
> columns correctly?

I think what you should be doing is messing with the cost parameters
... and not in the direction you tried before.  I gather from
	effective_cache_size = 12GB
that you have plenty of RAM on this machine.  If the tables involved
are less than 1GB then it's likely that you are operating in a fully
cached condition, and the default cost parameters are not set up for
that.  You want to be charging a lot less for page accesses relative to
CPU effort.  Try reducing both seq_page_cost and random_page_cost to 0.5
or even 0.1.  You'll need to watch your other queries to make sure
nothing gets radically worse though ...

			regards, tom lane