Re: "iowait" bug?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:

I thought about completely fair scheduler at first, but that one came
in around 2.6.21.

CFS showed up in 2.6.23.

I think that forcing the system to write down more often, and smaller
data just hides the problem, and doesn't correct it.

That's one possibility. I've been considering things like whether the OS is getting bogged down managing things like the elevator sorting for outstanding writes. If there was something about that process that gets really inefficient proportionally to the size of the pending queue, that would both match the kinds of symptoms people are reporting, and would go better just reducing the maximum size of the issue by lowering the pdflush tunables.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that there sure seem to be multiple problems mixed into that one bug report, and it's starting to look just as unmanagably messy as the older bug that had to be abandoned. It would have been nice if somebody kicked out all the diversions it wanted into to keep the focus a bit better. Anybody using a SSD device, USB, or ext4 should have been punted to somewhere else for example. Plenty of examples that don't require any of those things.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD