Re: Postgres benchmarking with pgbench

ml@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Greg,

thanks a lot for your hints. I changed my config and changed raid6 to raid10, but whatever i do, the benchmark breaks down at a scaling factor 75 where the database is "only" 1126MB big.

Here are my benchmark Results (scaling factor, DB size in MB, TPS) using:
  pgbench -S -c  X  -t 1000 -U pgsql -d benchmark -h MYHOST

150 2247 2297
200 2994 701
250 3742 656
300 4489 596
400 5984 552
500 7479 513

I have no idea if this is any good for a QuardCore Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz with 4GB Ram and 6 SATA disk (7200rpm) in raid 10.

Here is my config (maybe with some odd setting): http://pastebin.com/m5d7f5717

I played around with:
- max_connections
- shared_buffers
- work_mem
- maintenance_work_mem
- checkpoint_segments
- effective_cache_size

..but whatever i do, the graph looks the same. Any hints or tips what my config should look like? Or are these results even okay? Maybe i am driving myself crazy for nothing?

Are you running the pgbench client from a different system? Did you check if the pgbench client itself is bottlenecked or not. I have seen before the client of pgbench is severely limited on the load it can drive and process.

-Jignesh