Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
A linked list or an array of in-progress writes was my first thought as well. But the real problem is: how does the reader wait until all WAL up to X have been written? It could poll, but that's inefficient.

Good point - waiting for an exclusive lock on a page is a pretty easy way to wake up at the right time.

However, is there not some way to wait for a notify? I'm no C expert, but in Java that's one of the most fundamental features of a lock.

Matthew

--
A bus station is where buses stop.
A train station is where trains stop.