Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4

Simon Riggs wrote:
On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 17:41 -0400, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

I did a quick test with patch. Unfortunately it improves my number
even with default setting 0 (not sure whether I should be pleased or
sad - Definitely no overhead infact seems to help performance a bit.
NOTE: Logic is same, implementation is slightly different for default
set)

OK, I bite. 25% gain from doing nothing??? You're stretching my... err,
credulity.

I like the train of thought for setting 1 and it is worth investigating,
but something feels wrong somewhere.

Actually I think I am hurting my credibility here since I cannot explain the improvement with the patch but still using default logic (thought different way I compare sequential using fields from the previous proc structure instead of comparing with constant boolean) But the change was necessary to allow it to handle multiple algorithms and yet be sleek and not bloated.

In next couple of weeks I plan to test the patch on a different x64 based system to do a sanity testing on lower number of cores and also try out other workloads ...

Regards,
Jignesh

-
To make changes to your subscription: