Re: High CPU Utilization

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Joe Uhl wrote:

Now when I run vmtstat 1 30 it looks very different (below).

That looks much better. Obviously you'd like some more headroom on the CPU situation than you're seeing, but that's way better than having so much time spent waiting for I/O.

max_connections = 1000
work_mem = 30MB

Be warned that you need to be careful with this combination. If all 1000 connections were to sort something at once, you could end up with >30GB worth of RAM used for that purpose. It's probably quite unlikely that will happen, but 30MB is on the high side with that many connections.

I wonder if your pool might work better, in terms of lowering total CPU usage, if you reduced the number of incoming connections. Each connection adds some overhead and now that you've got the I/O situation under better control you might get by with less simultaneous ones. Something to consider.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD