Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4

decibel wrote:
On Mar 11, 2009, at 10:48 PM, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:
Fair enough.. Well I am now appealing to all who has a fairly decent sized hardware want to try it out and see whether there are "gains", "no-changes" or "regressions" based on your workload. Also it will help if you report number of cpus when you respond back to help collect feedback.

Do you have a self-contained test case? I have several boxes with 16-cores worth of Xeon with 96GB I could try it on (though you might not care about having "only" 16 cores :P)
I dont have authority over iGen, but I am pretty sure that with sysbench we should be able to recreate the test case or even dbt-2 That said the patch should be pretty easy to apply to your own workloads (where more feedback is more appreciated ).. On x64 16 cores might bring out the problem faster too since typically they are 2.5X higher clock frequency.. Try it out.. stock build vs patched builds.

-Jignesh

--
Jignesh Shah           http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah
The New Sun Microsystems,Inc   http://sun.com/postgresql