Re: TCP network cost

Tom Lane escribió:
Linos <info@xxxxxxxx> writes:
Hello, i have been having a problem like this in debian machines and i have discovered that (almost in my case), the problem only arises when i am using "ssl = true" in postgresql.conf although i am using clear tcp connections to localhost to perform my query, if i disable ssl in configuration my localhost query times goes from 4200ms to 110ms,

Does that number include connection startup overhead?  (If it doesn't,
it'd be pretty strange.)  Ross's problem is not about startup overhead,
unless I've misread him completely.

			regards, tom lane

This difference it is from the runtime of the query, i get this with \timing parameter in psql, it is from a table that have 300 small png (one for every row in table) on a bytea column but the problem grows with any large result anyway, i have attacted pcap files in general list but the differences are like this:

ssl enabled:
`psql -d database`: SELECT * FROM TABLE (110 ms with \timing)
`psql -d database -h localhost`: SELECT * FROM TABLE (4200 ms with \timing)

ssl disabled:
`psql -d database`: SELECT * FROM TABLE (110 ms with \timing)
`psql -d database -h localhost`: SELECT * FROM TABLE (120 ~ 130 ms with \timing)

Anyway i dont know if this apply to Ross problem but reading his post and after see that he is using debian and have problem with speed on tcp localhost i suppose that maybe have the same problem.

Regards,
Miguel Angel