Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL

Kevin Grittner wrote:
Farhan Husain <russoue@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks a lot Scott! I think that was the problem. I just changed the
default statistics target to 50 and ran explain. The plan changed
and I ran explain analyze. Now it takes a fraction of a second!
Yeah, the default of 10 has been too low. In 8.4 it is being raised
to 100.
Thanks to all of you who wanted to help me. I would be happy if
someone does me one last favor. I want to know how these query plans
are generated and how the parameters you suggested to change affects
it. If there is any article, paper or book on it please give me the
name or url.
In terms of tuning in general, you might start with these: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-query.html To understand the mechanics of the optimizer you might be best off
downloading the source code and reading through the README files and
comments in the source code.
-Kevin

Hello List,

Can this be set in the postgresql.conf file?
default_statistics_target = 50

Thanks,
Steve