Re: dissimilar drives in Raid10 , does it make difference ?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
I have received Dell Poweredge 2950 MIII with 2 kind of
drives. I cant' make out the reason behind it , does it
make any difference in long run or in performance
the drives are similar in overall characteristics but does
the minor differences if will cause any problem ?

As long as the drives are approximately the same capacity and speed, then no, it will not cause problems.

In fact, it is recommended that two different types of drives are used. That way, if there's a mass failure of a whole batch of drives from one particular vendor, you don't lose all your data.

Matthew

bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."  -- Rich Cook