Re: Using multiple cores for index creation?

Hi,

> You can then
> pull a TOC out with pg_restore and break that appart. Reading the TOC is
> pretty self evident. Once you get down to index creation you can create
> multiple files each with a group of indexes to create. Then call
> pg_restore multiple times in a script against the individual TOC and you
> will use all cores.

I figured something like this would be possible. Thanks for the explanation. Ultimately I'm looking for something more automatic though. Not that I personally mind doing the above, but when an emergency restore is needed for some production server manually editing a dump is probably not the safest course of action ;)

It sounds like something though that a tool could do automatically. The mentioned patch sounds interesting too, is there anything known about whether this patch will make it into the main stream Postgres source? I guess it's too late for inclusion in PostgreSQL 8.4, but 8.5 perhaps?

Kind regards

What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out