Re: Slow insert performace, 8.3 Wal related?

Nothing special about that table. One index.

It really seems that the system would grind to a stand-still when a lot of non-transaction inserts were run combined with the creation of some large temp tables.

Since we added transactions and started using truncate, things have cleared up nicely. The suggestions here really helped.

Does anyone know of some established postgresql consultants that can be hired for emergency analysis/tuning when things come up?

Rusty