Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks

On Jan 11, 2009, at 9:43 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Luke Lonergan wrote:
Not to mention the #1 cause of server faults in my experience: OS kernel bug causes a crash. Battery backup doesn't help you much there.

Not that long ago (a month or so) we ran into a problem where hpacucli (Utility for configuring/inspecting/etc HP smartarray controllers) would tickle the cciss driver in such a way that it would cause a kernel panic. KABLAMMO (No data loss! weeeee!). The box had run for a long time without crashes, but it seems that when we added more disks and started the array building the new logical drive some magical things happened.

Bugs happen. The [bad word] of it is catching the culprit with its fingers in the cookie jar.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/