Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

And you're probably in pretty good shape with Debian stable and the RHEL respins like CentOS.

No one is in good shape until they've done production-level load testing on the system and have run the sort of "unplug it under load" tests that Scott was praising. Since so many of the kernel bugs you might run into are in device drivers, the subset of Debian/RHEL you're using is only as stable as the worst supported driver running on your system.

But you should be able to keep a "branded" server up for months, with the exception of applying security patches that require a reboot.

Right, this is why I only rely on Linux deployments using a name I trust: Dell.

Returning to reality, the idea that there are brands you can buy that make all your problems go away is rather optimistic. The number of "branded" servers I've seen that are just nearly or completely worthless for database use is rather depressing.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD