Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks

Title: Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
If it is PowerEdge 1800 with a low end non-write cache controller, then 100 iops per SATA drive isn’t too far off from what you should expect.

Contrary to what others are saying, I don’t think that turning fsync off is killing you, you might get 25% more throughput at best.

The iostat output would indicate that you are getting just about all you can get out of it without getting faster drives or controllers.

Since it is mostly random read bound, more RAM in the system would certainly help reduce the load, as would an I/O subsystem with high random i/o throughput (quality flash drives, the best quality ones currently being Intel X-25 M until the next gen Micron, Samsung, Mtron, and SanDisk ones come out — do NOT use any that don’t have high random write perf).

I’m guessing that the cheapest thing to do is increase the RAM on the server — I think you can fit 16GB in an 1800, if not at least 8GB, and increase shared_buffers to between 10% and 25% of that.  Upgrading to 8.3.x will further help.

On 1/8/09 6:41 AM, "Stefano Nichele" <stefano.nichele@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Glyn Astill wrote:
> [...]

Indeed I think it's this one. The server is a Power Edge 1800 Server.