Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5

>>> "Mark Wong" <markwkm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The DL380 G5 is an 8 core Xeon E5405 with 32GB of
> memory.  The MSA70 is a 25-disk 15,000 RPM SAS array, currently
> configured as a 25-disk RAID-0 array.

> number of connections (250):

> Moving forward, what other parameters (or combinations of) do people
> feel would be valuable to illustrate with this workload?

To configure PostgreSQL for OLTP on that hardware, I would strongly
recommend the use of a connection pool which queues requests above
some limit on concurrent queries.  My guess is that you'll see best
results with a limit somewhere aound 40, based on my tests indicating
that performance drops off above (cpucount * 2) + spindlecount.

I wouldn't consider tests of the other parameters as being very useful
before tuning this.  This is more or less equivalent to the "engines"
configuration in Sybase, for example.

-Kevin