Re: Experience with HP Smart Array P400 and SATA drives?

* Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@xxxxxxxx> [081210 07:31]:

> Why not? I know it's not performing as good as RAID-10, but it does not
> waste 50% diskspace. RAID-6 is no option, because the performance is
> even worse. And, on another system with RAID-5 + spare and SAS drives,
> the same controller is working very well.

Like Scott said, it's all about trade-offs.

With raid5, you get abysmal write performance, "make me not sleep at
night" inconsistent parity issues, and a degraded mode that will a
nightmare  ...

... and as a trade-off you save a little money, and get good "read only"
performance ...

... as long as you don't ever have a disk or system crash ...

... or can afford to rebuild if you do ...

aidan@xxxxxxxxxxx                                       command like a king,