Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Robert Haas wrote:

I don't believe the thesis.  The gap between disk speeds and memory
speeds may narrow over time, but I doubt it's likely to disappear
altogether any time soon, and certainly not for all users.

I think the "not for all users" is the critical part. In 2 years, we may (or may not) start using SSD instead of traditional drives for new installs, but we certainly won't be throwing out our existing servers any time soon just because something (much) better is now available.