Re: Configuring for maximum memory usage

Christiaan Willemsen wrote:
Hi there,

The problem is getting it to use that much. At the moment, it only uses almost 9 GB, so by far not enough. The problem is getting it to use more... I hope you can help me with working config.

PostgreSQL is only going to use what it needs. It relies on the OS for much of the caching etc...

Here are the parameters I set in the config file:

shared_buffers = 8192MB

I wouldn't take this any higher.

work_mem = 128MB

This is quite high but it might be o.k. depending on what you are doing.

maintenance_work_mem = 2048MB

This is only used during maintenance so you won't see this much.

max_fsm_pages = 204800
max_fsm_relations = 2000

This uses very little memory.

Database is about 250 GB in size, so we really need to have as much data as possible in memory.

I hope you can help us tweak a few parameters to make sure all memory will be used.

You are missing effective_cache_size. Try setting that to 32G.

You also didn't mention checkpoint_segments (which isn't memory but still important) and default_statistics_target (which isn't memory but still important).

Joshua D. Drake