Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
Huh?  Each backend has its own socket.

we must be talking about different things. I'm talking about the socket that would be used for clients to talk to postgres, this is either a TCP socket or a unix socket. in either case only one process can listen on it.

The postmaster opens a socket for listening. Only one process can do that. When an incoming connection is received, postmaster passes that connection on to a child backend process. The child then has a socket, but it is a connected socket, not a listening socket.

Matthew

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.