Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
I just asked on the kernel mailing list and Alan Cox responded.

he is saying that you are correct, it only allocates against the total available, it doesn't actually allocate ram.

That was remarkably graceful of you. Yes, operating systems have worked that way for decades - it's the beauty of copy-on-write.

but you do need to allocate more swap as the total memory 'used' can be significantly higher that with overcommit on.

Yes, that's right.

Matthew

--
Note: some countries impose serious penalties for a conspiracy to overthrow
     the political system. THIS DOES NOT FIX THE VULNERABILITY.