Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 03:22:09PM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I disagree with you. I think goof Postgres operation is so highly dependant
> on caching as much data as possible that disabling overcommit (and throwing
> away a lot of memory that could be used for cache) is a solution that's as
> bad or worse than the problem it's trying to solve.

Ok, but the danger is that the OOM killer kills your postmaster.  To
me, this is a cure way worse than the disease it's trying to treat.
YMMD &c. &c.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1 503 667 4564 x104