Re: Postgres not using array

André Volpato wrote:
In practice, I have noticed that dual 1.8 is worse than single 3.0. We have another server wich
is a Pentium D 3.0 GHz, that runs faster.
Postgres read the array in less than 1 sec, and the other 10s he takes 100% of CPU usage,
wich is, in this case, one of the two cores at 1.8GHz.

I am a bit confused about what CPU is best for Postgres. Our apps is mostly read, with
a few connections and heavy queryes.
Does it worth a multi-core ?

How are you doing your benchmarking? If you have two or more queries running at the same time, I would expect the 1.8 Ghz x 2 to be significant and possibly out-perform the 3.0 Ghz x 1. If you usually only have one query running at the same time, I expect the 3.0 Ghz x 1 to always win. PostgreSQL isn't good at splitting the load from a single client across multiple CPU cores.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark@xxxxxxxxx>